Saturday, January 22, 2011

Childhood Influences

I'm feeling really grateful for the time when I was growing up. Specifically, there was a group of hippies that really got into making children's programing when I was young and they had such a huge and positive impact over my view of the world. Honestly, I feel like there is a part of my heart that was defined by these snippets - though many funny and mostly cute, a huge lump forms in my throat whenever I encounter any of them.

Thank you God, for using what was so beautiful and true to shape my earliest memories. Thank you for weaving them so deeply in my being as to be an inseparable part of who I am.

#46 The Serendipity Books

My Mom bought me very many in this series of children's books about all matter of moral and ethical dilemmas for children. My favorite was a book called "Trafalgar True" about a these two groups of furry creatures who become jealous, wicked and divisive after a beautiful piece of the sun lands in the middle of their shared meadow. Trafalgar is a dragon who loves all of the creatures and resolves to end the wickedness by sacrificing his own life to return the sun stone.

#47 Willy Wonka

I love this whole movie - about the power of imagination and the importance of character.

But here's the part that really stuck with me: "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams."

#49 Jim Hensen's The Muppets, Fraggle Rock, The Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth

All of Jim Hensen's work encourages imagination and faith in goodness. I'll give you a bullet point message I think I walked away with from each.

Labyrinth: Three things stand out to me about Labyrinth: (1) Hoggle - he's a broken little man, who is lonely predominantly because of fear and selfishness. His story about becoming a a real friend is just beautiful. (2) Coming of age - Hoggle isn't the only one to come of age, the main character Sarah comes of age. Learning about her own immaturity and selfishness. In the end she must take responsibility and come into her own power. (3) Dance Magic Dance (ok not particularly meaningful - but super cool!)

The Dark Crystal: As a kid I loved this movie and it also scared the pants off of me. It was the first movie I ever watched that elicited that love-hate reaction. What stands out to me about that movie is it's real, honest dealing with good and evil. The Skeksis (bird-like bad guys) are seriously evil - we learn before the movie starts that they have committed the organized genocide of an entire race due to fears that someone from this race who end their leadership. Throughout the movie they capture and ruin innocent people to stay young. And this stuff isn't implied, it's shown and it's chilling. The good-guys are at a distinct disadvantage throughout the movie; yet commitment, self-sacrifice, friendship, love and trust carry them and ultimately cause good to overcome.

The Muppets and Fraggle Rock: Both of these really just talk about the power of friendship. The characters are diverse in terms of personality, background and even species! And though diversity frequently causes conflict, it is ultimately framed in a positive light making the group of friends stronger.

Plus who doesn't love Kermit singing The Rainbow Connection!

So this is the longest gratitude post ever. But I am really, really grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment