Thursday, January 27, 2011

2nd Bible Verse for 2011

Hey all,

I've been memorizing my 2nd Bible verse for the year for 11 days now. So I thought I'd try to write it from memory today (here goes nothing):

Phillipians 4:8

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is right, whatever is noble, whatever is pure, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. (NIV)

Woohoo!!! Double check me - but I am pretty sure that is it!!!

I chose to memorize it because I can tend to be pretty critical gal when I am in the flesh - critical of me, critical of David, critical of Sydney, critical of my job, critical of the church - you name it I can find its faults.

Ironically, I think this is valued both in the larger American culture and in my family's culture specifically. I think we prize the ability to see how things are going wrong (or will go wrong) and this is seen as an asset to us. Maybe because we think it will prevent us from being hurt, or being hurt "as badly." However, my experience is that the pain of bearing up under the weight of this kind of critical eye does much more damage than some unanticipated pain ever could. We trade everyday torture for the (false by the way) belief that will can avoid unanticipated pain.

Anyway, God calls for us to have an exactly different mindset (Its the upside down Gospel). Instead of spending all of our time being critical, we are supposed to dwell on what is right and pure and good and noble and excellent. And (also ironically) psychology supports this idea. Turns out when we praise, highlight or reinforce what is beautiful, we actually get more of it.

I love God's economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment