Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I'm having a Dixie Chicks day. I am not generally a country music fan, but I love the Dixie Chicks. I love them altogether, but I really love Natalie Maines voice. There is something about the way her voice sounds, it makes my soul soar. It might be the most beautiful voice I've ever heard.

Anyway, it got me thinking about all of the secular artists that I really love and am grateful for. I post a lot of Christian music, but I still have a huge heart for beautiful artistry and honest lyrics, and some of the best are found in the secular world. So here are my favorites...

#86 Ben Folds - maybe my favorite musician of all time. The whole package - incredible musical talent, matched with incredible lyrical ability. Here's links to some of my favorite songs: Magic, The Luckiest (David and my song), Mess, Annie Waits, Trusted

#87 Weezer - my favorite album is Pinkerton. Which is not going to win any family friendly awards, but is raw and honest. It was also the soundtrack to my trip to Brazil and my closest high school friendship (love you, Steffie Lou).

#88 REM - my favorite album is Up. Not their most popular album, but gripping in its gravity and somber timbre.Probably my favorite song from the album is At My Most Beautiful

#89 Sarah Mclachlan - everything. Well not everything - but that ethereal voice can make nearly everything sound beautiful. She also reminds me of my Jackie; especially, when she sings the Beatles Blackbird.

#90 Tori Amos - my favorite album is Little Earthquakes. And my favorite song is Precious Things. This song is incredibly raw and angry - and doesn't spell the most rosy picture of Christians either. But it is so, so honest and beautiful. It speaks directly to some of my deepest hurts in adolescence.

#91 Counting Crows - especially the album August and Everything After. Best song is Anna Begins.And it be wrong not to mention Rain King and Mr. Jones (which are single handedly responsible for delivering me from many a bad mood).

#92 James Taylor - again, everything. He's my male equivalent to Natalie Maines - His voice makes me melt. My favorite - Carolina in My Mind.

#93 Marc Broussard - This man is AMAZING! Here are a couple of my favorites: Home, Hope for Me Yet, Let the Music Get Down in Your Soul

#94 Mike Doughty - His Truth is Marching On, 27 Jennifers, Unsingable Name

WOW! I've been writing for an hour and I still haven't gotten to the Beatles, Tom Petty, Heart ..

Wow Lord. Do have an incredible list of things to be grateful for. Thank you for all of these talented people; many of whom are willing to be open, vulnerable and honest without the guarantee of your (our our) acceptance. It has been such an incredible encouragement and blessing to me. I love you.

Amen.

1 comment: