Monday, July 26, 2010

Why Jesus Christ was not a Terrorist

Our church is currently in a study exploring 1st Peter.

To provide some context, 1st Peter is a letter written by one the apostle's (Peter) to his scattered church, the 1st Church of Jerusalem, due the severe persecution of the early Christian church during that time. So, this letter was written to folks who were quite literally facing brutal death by the hands of their oppressors (typically the religious and governmental authorities) for their faith.

So this next part may sound strange; specifically, what we studied this weekend was about submitting to authority. That's right! Right at the beginning of a letter to a group of oppressed refugees, facing death at the hands of the religious and governmental authorities of their day is a series of passages on submission to authority.

Seriously! What up Peter?!? Shouldn't we be talking about revolution? Rebellion?

Nope... he says "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men." (1 Peter 2:13-25).

He goes on to talk about why this is important (I can imagine, because if I got that letter I'd need some justification for his position as well). He gives three major reasons:

(1) Authority is designed to be good for all (e.g., it's supposed to promote good and punish evil).
(2) Our role is to influence others by doing good (a.k.a., our role is not to punish corrupt authorities - that's God's job).
(3) Our divine role model for this is Jesus Christ.

This message spoke to me so, so personally. I think because one of the things that drew me to Christianity was it's place in changing the world. I want to be a part of something that lifts up the oppressed, that names evil, that undermines the structures which dominate and control the powerless. As a result, I think - in some way- I want to be a terrorist for God. In fact, one of the early Christian writings that drew me in actually used that metaphor but renamed terrorism with some other, nicer phrase (e.g., gorilla love mercenary or something like that).

And I am not saying that Christianity is NOT about changing this broken world or lifting up the oppressed, it is. But what this passage of scripture speaks to is our general methodology for achieving those aims.

Specifically, I am guessing that these early Christian refugees were likely considering some terrorism of their own, ya know. If I saw my daughter get dragged through the streets and raped or my brother beaten and murdered - I'd probably be thinking of strapping the equivalent of a bomb to my chest for Christ. And I'd feel pretty justified to - these were evil men, doing evil things! (I am not being facetious here - these men were doing evil things).

But Peter steps in and says, "No. Not that way. We do not work that way!" We work by "Showing proper respect to everyone. Lov[ing] the brotherhood of believers, fear[ing] God, honor[ing] the king." (1st Peter 2:15-17)

We work through love, service and submission. That's right, if the evil king wants to kill us because we believe in Christ - we don't blow him up, we don't hate him, we submit to his authority to kill us.

This is an incredibly challenging passage of scripture for believers, let a lone those who do not believe. Specifically, we are going to look like nuts to atheists.

In fact, I've got a Marxist, atheist friend of mine who pretty much thinks the new testament was written to prevent slave classes from uprising and killing their masters. And I can see why he thinks that. I mean our scripture says it - let them beat you, let them kill you, turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile, respect their authority, love them. It suggests a way that is a radical departure from rebellion or terrorism. Specifically, it say trust God to handle this and trust that His plan of Love to ultimately succeed.

I think this bears repeating: Trust God to handle this. Trust that His plan of Love will ultimately succeed.

Without faith, we should and do make no sense.

So I was challenged... Do I make no sense? Are my friends and family looking at me and saying, "she loves so radically - I don't understand her"? If not, then I am living this out wrong. I am still living as though I am of the world, instead of just passing through.

Another question, "Do I believe there is a God in Heaven who sees all and judges rightly?" If I do, there is absolutely no room to be a terrorist for Jesus. In this economy it is God (and only God) who can judge and execute fairly - thus, my judgment cannot be fully trusted. Just because it seems right to me to blow someone up (which, let's be real - sometimes this feels like a VERY good idea) - it does not mean I am right or I should.

God is very plain on this fact - as a child of God I serve, I obey, I love. Done. Servant attitude, servant heart. This plan will ultimately change the world for God, but not the way I've seen before and not necessarily in the way I would have it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment