Friday, July 16, 2010

Oh Happiness!

For those of you who don't know already, I am obsessed with this David Crowder Band Song, "Oh Happiness."

When you first listen to it, it sounds like a catchy pop song with A LOT of synthesizer action. And let's be honest, that's probably enough for me to get hooked on a song. (Oh heaven did I love "Stacy's Mom" - I love you Jackie Anderson!)

But Oh Happiness has an incredible depth to it, that most catchy pop songs lack. (They can't all be Mr. Jones you know?)

In all seriousness, I think to fully comprehend Oh Happiness, you need to first do some reflecting. First, I want you to think of the worst, most painful atrocities in this world. What do humans look like at their meanest and darkest.

Then I want you to think about the pains in your own life, the things you believe can NEVER fully heal. The things you've said to yourself, "I will never get over this. I will carry this around until I die."

Now listen to Oh Happiness (lyrics printed below).

Oh, happiness
There is grace enough for us
And the whole human race

From the full streams
Of Your care
All who come
Begin again

Hard or friend
Rich or poor
All who need
Need fear no more

Such a thing to give away

All regrets
Let go, forget
There's something that
Mends all of that

Such a thing to give away

Sound the church bells
Let 'em ring
Let 'em ring
For everything can be redeemed
We can be redeemed
All of us

This is the absolute heartbeat of gospel... we have NOT out sinned God's ability to love us or to redeem us. Everything can be redeemed - Auschwitz can be redeemed, Darfur can be redeemed, the time your father told you he wished he'd worn a condom the night you were conceived can be redeemed, the time you lashed out and told your friend they weren't worth your time can be redeemed.

Everything can be turned around, made right, made beautiful, made worth it. Beauty from ashes!

I imagine that there are some of you reading, who think "This is a fairytale, this is impossible. You cannot make Auschwitz worth it!" I know, I know! How could it ever be worth it, right? But the joy of Christianity is this, Full Redemption is EXACTLY God's promise and plan. She is singing join me! Hope in me! I will deliver you. I will redeem everything you hand me.

Redeemer God,

Your love and mercy is incomprehensible to me. I am awash in Your promises. I cannot fully understand them but thank You for bringing me to a place where I can believe them. Please do the same for those who cannot see past the atrocities of this world. Give them a personal glimpse of the hope You provide, a taste of the Grace that is Your very nature, of the true fullness of Your redemptive plan.

I love You so.

No comments:

Post a Comment