Friday, December 4, 2020

Week 1 (Hope): Born to Be Our High Priest



Today is a weird day for me...

Priests...

Jesus is born to be our high priest.

Priest...

I don’t really like that word. I think I might have stopped being a Catholic in large measure because of that word. In my mind it’s like spiritual patriarchy. Priests are the special people (really men) who are close enough to God to speak to and for Him. The ultimate we know better than you. Blech

I definitely like the idea that Jesus is the priest. Like if there has to be one, I like that it’s Jesus. But I still bristle at the role altogether. 

But God is definitely pro-priest. As ever, He has not consulted with me and insists on ALWAYS being right. So that means digging in.

As I’ve contemplated this morning, I am thinking that it’s our conception of power that’s the issue. That the self-righteous, pride of position that I assume/insert/project is poisoning me.

There’s some weird mention in the reading of Melchizedek too. You know I had to look that shit up.

And I won’t say I had some lightbulb moment or anything. But what I did realize is that this “priest-king of righteousness” (that’s what Melchizedek means) is introduced as a servant (he comes to feed Abram bread and wine after he just fought a bunch of other kings to rescue his shit heel cousin Lot). It’s a contrast between Melchizedek (serving, non-violent) and the other kings (imperialistic, violent) that jumps out. And Jesus chose to be compared to THIS priest.

This seems important. That Jesus is not a high priest who is gloating about his position. He comes out to meet us and tend to us in war. To bless us.

If that’s was a priest is supposed to be, I can see why God is for that.

See what I mean... always fucking right.

Every single time.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment