Friday, June 25, 2010

She's totally got my number

So now that I am almost through dissertating (my defense is scheduled for next Wednesday - Hallelujah!), I am taking Mondays and Fridays off from work to stay home with my munchkin. We've had a great time together.

Today we got up and watched "LarryBoy and the Bad Apple." For those of you who don't follow Christian Cartoons, LarryBoy is a superhero who takes on the common sins of childhood (i.e., lying, spreading rumors, etc.) In "LarryBoy and the Bad Apple," Larry confronts temptation - or more specifically a Bad Apple who goes around tempting people into over-indulgence in vanity, video games, t.v. and chocolate.

Later this afternoon, while we were driving to go swimming at my folks house, Syd and I were processing the show. We reviewed which characters were tempted by which things (e.g., LarryBoy was tempted by chocolate, his butler, Alfred, by t.v.). Then, I asked her a probing question, "So Syd, what do you think the Bad Apple would use to tempt you?"

"Oh all of dose tings," she replied in her cute 4 year-old accent.

"What do you think she would use to tempt Mommy?" I asked, thinking this is a good opportunity to point out that Mommies and Daddies struggle with temptations too.

At first Syd responded, "I don't know," as I thought she would. I was just about to tell her what I thought I would be tempted by when she confidently announced, "Work... definitely work." And she was right! She was totally, totally right.

Our kids get us folks - at 4 years and 6 months my daughter totally has my number. I am so lucky to have her.

Creator God,

I don't know how you saw fit to place such an amazing, fearless, brilliant young girl in my care. I don't deserve her. Please make me trustworthy with her beautiful spirit. I promise, with Your help, to teach her what she needs to know. I also promise to listen to what she has to teach me. I love you, Lord.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment