Thursday, June 10, 2010

Jackie's Wedding (Part II)

Now for a confession.

Jackie had been pretty bothered in the weeks preceding her wedding by the idea that it might rain on her wedding day. She predicted that it would and that she would be really upset about it. I kept telling her to quit prophesying gloom and doom but she was adamant.

So now, with overcast skies, I knew for sure what God's miracle was going to be. In fact, I had it perfectly scripted in my mind: It was going to drizzle all morning and then, just at the perfect moment, the clouds would part and Jackie and Seth would have their beautiful beach wedding. Yay God!

However, as the day drew on the skies grew darker and darker. And the rain, which began as a light drizzle, became heavier and heavier. I remember the first big droplets starting to fall as the bridesmaids posed for our first series of outside pictures. And in my head, I said to God "You better know what you are doing."

As the rain fell harder, the bridesmaids moved inside and the dark, gloomy atmosphere came in with us. A typically lively bunch of girls were quiet and melancholy. I was using my stern, mother voice with God, "What's wrong with You? You couldn't do this one thing for Jackie? You take both of her parents before her wedding day and you can't give her this one moment!"

And as the rain continued to fall, a deep sadness began to fill my spirit. I started to doubt, "Oh no, God is definitely not going to come through. It's going to pour and Jackie's going to have to get married in that stupid tent. What does this mean about you Lord?"

It was about this time that the bridesmaids were posing for pictures in a long hallway with windows looking outside. And with the bridesmaids busy in pictures, the set of three little flower girls lined up at the window and started singing "Rain, rain go away, come again another day." And slowly, like the beginning of wave in the ocean, each of the bridesmaids began to join in. And the mood began to shift. Looks were exchanged, hands squeezed. Something was happening, solidarity was forming. First it whispered "we will not accept this." And then it grew, louder and louder "We will Not accept This." And then it was shouting "WE WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS."

I remember the first bridesmaids to name it was this incredibly vivacious and fearless woman named Heather. "F$%& it!" she said, "Jackie, you love the rain. If you want to get married on that beach, I don't care if we have to stand in Lake Michigan's first tsunami, you're getting married on that beach!" And sea of "Yes"s erupted from the bridesmaids.

Then it hung there for a minute, like a question "Will she take it?"

And Jackie paused and said "You would do that for me? You're sure?"

And that was the end of it, we were one! All of us united. "We are getting married on that beach!"

Everything after that happened quickly. We were like a force of nature. Things just started happening. Some how one of the guests heard about the plan and went to buy out all of the umbrellas from Wallmart. The wedding planner made arrangements to play the music from protection of the tent. Suddenly, we were standing in a long hallway (hiding Jackie behind a wall) as a trail of guests made their way to their seats. It was on! We were doing this.

And before we knew it, we walking in a light drizzle down the long grass and then beach isle to the Camp-Anderson wedding site. Honestly it was beautiful, there was a sea of multicolored umbrellas and the lake was covered with a beautiful mist. And the realness and joy of the moment kept growing and growing, building and building. And the rain kept falling, harder and harder.

I remember arriving at my position at the front of the crowd and feeling the drops of rain get weightier, but this time instead of doubt I was filled with joy. Here I am, in a $300 dress, wet sand all over my feet, purchased make-up possibly running all over my face, staring to heaven as rain begins to pour down feeling elated!

And here comes Jackie, looking vibrant and beautiful, and the rain is pouring and she is laughing and smiling.

And we reach the point in the ceremony where the officiant asks "Who gives this woman away in marriage?" And the storm is loud and the drops are heavy. And she adds, "Let's all turn our eyes heavenward to hear her father answer 'Her mother and I do.'" And the storm reaches it's zenith. And for a few seconds hail falls from the sky; hitting the top of the chuppah and making what sounds to me like applause. And we all stand there, all of us (even the atheists in the crowd) knowing that something miraculous is occurring.



And then, it all stops, no more hail clapping, no more rain, no more drizzle. Silence.

And that silence screamed "You see now. I am in all of this. I am in the rain, the hail, the silence, the love, the wedding. I am."

And my heart lept for joy. For not only were two of the most amazing people I've ever known marrying one another. But my God, OUR God was faithful. So perfectly faithful.

Hallelujah and Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This is my second attempt at this so I will try to shorten it up. I don't know how else to get a message on here. First of all thank you for your kind words, thoughts, and support. We read your blog out here on the islands, and I wanted to send some love your way as well. I just wanted you to know that while on vacation shutting out the real world. I'm still thinking of you. I've been lost, over my head in a book I've been dying to read for some time. I'm reading it in the middle of the ocean on a tropical island and I still had a "Paula moment" (we can get into that later). Anyway out of context this may not make any sense, but i paused for a moment in my reading when i read this paragraph from a novel called Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami. And it reminded me of you or maybe us or something either way i wanted to share before i forgot. So with out further ado and way too much build up here it is.
    (I feel like I'm exactly where I belong. When I'm with Mr. Nakata I can't be bothered with all this Who am I? stuff. Maybe this is going overboard, but I bet Buddha's followers and Jesus' apostles felt the same way. "When I'm with the Buddha/Jesus, I always feel I'm where I belong"-something like that. Forget about culture, truth, all that junk. That kind of inspiration's what it's all about.)
    Again out of context maybe, but either way lots of love from Hawaii. Back to some honeymooning. Talk to you later lady.

    ReplyDelete