Thursday, June 16, 2011

Goel Follow-Up

I was perusing the short videos created to go with the Ruth study this morning. The videos are called "The Living Room Series" because its basically footage of a the author and her group of girlfriends sitting around talking about the study.

Normally, I like them - but this one I LOVED! I don't want to say too much before you watch - so take a look and then I'll tell you what I loved about it.


Ruth: Loss, Love & Legacy Week 3 from April Dace on Vimeo.



Ok - so what do I love.

(1) The exchange about the homemade whipped cream, sliced strawberries and purchased cake. There is something about friendship there - especially when the girl said "What she meant to say was that she grew these strawberries herself" that just makes me smile. It reminds me of the ease, comfort and intimacy of closest my female friendships.

(2) When Kelly mentions that we need to remember that God is the author of social justice. As a psychologist, I hear this term thrown about quite a lot. Used by people who know it is the right thing to say, but have absolutely no heart for the matter at all. They are interested in creating another in and out group actually: the competent - of which they are clearly a part - and the incompetent. I love being reminded that Our God is all about social justice in earnest. Inviting the slave to the table since the beginning. It makes me breath a little easier.

(BTW: I know she says Christ, which might get some of your panties in a knot about timelines - but I think she means Christ, as in the Word that has existed since before the foundation of the Earth; and if she doesn't she should - because the book of Ruth takes place before Jesus walked the Earth).

(3) Finally, I absolutely LOVE the part where one of the women asks if they will explore why Boaz did those things for Ruth. It is so revealing about us ladies - She says "Why? Was she really attractive? ... Was Boaz really desperate to get married? Was she really beautiful?"

OH HEAVENS! Can you see our sickness all over that??? The options are "she's either gorgeous or he's desperate!"And before you think I am condemning this woman, you must know that I have thought THE SAME THING! Despite the fact that not one shred of Scripture supports the interpretation that any of this story has to do with Ruth's physical appearance, I just assume she must have been beautiful to have "caught Boaz's eye." Thus, I see myself and our broken culture and how I still, clearly, have some healing left to do.

I also think it reflects how broken we can be in our understanding of redemption. I mean, we just don't get grace at all. Our first question, when talking about a redeemer, is essentially "What did she do to deserve it?" And the answer is plainly: nothing. She did nothing to deserve it. She could not earn it. If she could, that would not be redemption. We just don't speak redemption.

Anyway, somethings to chew on. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment