Sunday, March 6, 2011

Feet washing

I had my feet washed on Thursday at WOW.

For weeks the leadership had been talking about serving the women in this way, a real enactment of the events that proceeded Easter. I had hoped to serve by washing feet, but because I was co-leading the large group it was suggested that other leaders volunteer for these positions. When thinking about others partaking, it seemed really beautiful - like a way to serve them. I envisioned those getting their feet washed feeling pampered and loved on.

This was in stark contrast to my own feelings about having my feet washed. Specifically, the minute this got announced, I began to worry my co-leader might try to wash my feet on the stage in front of everybody. My co-leader also happens to be the head of our section of WOW, Kim. The idea of Kim, someone I respect deeply, washing my feet made me want to crawl under a rock. No thank you.

But once the day arrived, there was no bucket on the stage - so I felt pretty confident I had dodged that bullet. And I was really sure when she didn't say anything about it as we were talking. Whew!

So I wander back to my seat and notice that absolutely no one is going to the feet washing stations. Ten beautiful women are sitting there, ready to wash and no one is going. This is certainly not going the way I had scripted in my head.

Then I started thinking about the Bible scene. We don't have a lot of detail about what most of the disciples were thinking. But my favorite disciple, Peter, spoke my feelings perfectly:

John 13: 4-10

so [Jesus] got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

(I can imagine what I would be thinking at this moment... 'What is he doing! He looks like a servant! Oh, no! Oh, no! He's going to try to wash my feet. There is no way I can let him wash my feet!)

He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord are you going to wash my feet?"

(Translated: 'Jesus, this is bad plan. You are the leader here, and I am totally uncomfortable with you washing my feet.')

Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."

"No," said Peter,"you shall never wash my feet."

(Translated: 'I know exactly what you are doing, you are acting like my servant! That makes me uncomfortable and it is totally backward. I am not going to do this.')

Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."

"Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well."

(Translated: (inside) Oh crap! He's serious. (spoken) If I have to do this, let's make this less like you are serving me and more like a baptism. )

Jesus answered, "Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean."

(Translated: You've already had one baptism Peter, you don't need another. This is something different and you aren't getting out of it.)

After this all occurred to me, I realized that there is something really spiritually powerful - and initially unpleasant - about getting your feet washed. It was the disciples' (and possible our) first act of rejecting the order of this world. When Jesus washed the disciple's feet, he powerfully demonstrated the upside down nature of the gospel - the King is the Sacrifice, the Leader is the Servant, the 1st is the last. In this world, leaders don't wash servants feet, Kings don't die for their subjects - but in the Kingdom they do. That is the new way.

So... I got my feet washed. And it was initially really hard - I wanted to stop Jayme (my feet washer) and say "No, no, let me!" But I didn't. And she prayed over me and I cried. And I left a little more a citizen of the Kingdom of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment