Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Learn the unforced rhythms of grace

I studied Matthew 11:28-30 this morning. It's one of the most famous passages of scripture:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest..."

It's beautiful as is...

But did you know it immediately follows on the heals of Jesus having an indignant outburst about the cities that have rejected his message? I mean two sentences before He's going on about "Woe to Chorizon" and "for it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you." I mean, He's clearly frustrated and disappointed with the stubbornness and hard hardheartedness of the people of these cities; people whom he sees as blessed and educated - in appearance righteous and powerful.

I don't know about you, but I can relate to that frustration. Looking around at all of our privilege... our money, our security, our over-familiarity with Christ. In some ways we've made Him into a bedtime story for our children; we've neutered His message to be about accumulating wealth or joining a club with great benefits and low entrance standards. It's ridiculous. There's nothing radical about us; we need to wake up. And if we won't do the right thing - who on earth will!

And then, out of nowhere really, Jesus says a prayer. He says "Thank you Father, Lord of heaven and earth. You've concealed your ways from sophisticates and know-it-alls, but spelled them out clearly to ordinary people. Yes, Father, that's the way you like to work. "

And then, Jesus reminds me that God is not present where we might think. That just because Capernaum might look religious - it doesn't mean it is. All of their laws and work to keep up appearances is just bull. That all their legalism and pride is actually a guarantee of their blindness, because God HIDES from those folks.

And I imagine these people he's talking to, they are thinking something like "Well if those people - who look so good from the outside, who work their tushes off day and night following all of God's rules - if God's HIDING from THEM , boy am I screwed."

But Jesus says this: "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

He says let me teach you grace. LET ME TEACH YOU GRACE.

Are you tired? Are you worn out trying to be perfect or make other people perfect? LET ME TEACH YOU GRACE!

Are you frustrated with the BS? Are you disillusioned about the people in power? Me too, LET ME TEACH YOU GRACE!

Family, my sincere prayer today is that we will let Jesus teach us grace. Teach me grace.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment