Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Offended and hating it

Hello Beautiful Friends,

I've been having a bit of a rough patch spiritually speaking. I've generally felt far from God and a bit lost. This (of course) correlates to a falling back into old patterns of being. For example, it's been since August that I've been diligent about Bible study.

The weird thing about it is that I know exactly when it started. It started AT Bible study. I was talking to my group of Bible study women about part of study that I found a bit harsh - it was calling people prostitutes (or playing the harlot) if they were having sex outside of marriage. I was commenting on how we should elaborate on the term prostitute and what exactly was being articulated in the Scriptures - and then one of the ladies said that she would "take that into consideration" but she didn't think we should be "compromising" or "apologizing" about the Scripture.

In process, I felt very disregarded and disrespected. I also felt misunderstood and angry. In short - I was offended.

And that offense, I let the sun go down on it. I've continued and continued to let the sun go down on it. I have not forgiven. I have harbored this little sting of bitterness - nothing glaring mind you, but just a little bitty bit of spite. My, my, my can one drop of un-forgiveness go a long, long way.

I also am pretty sure God has a thing or two to say about letting offenses, particularly from our brothers and sisters, fester. What is it? Something like "if you are making and offering and you realize that there is an offense between you and your brother - drop the offering, go make things right and then come back to make your offering." I also think there is something about God's forgiveness being tied to our forgiveness of others.

Ah, ha - so perhaps I need to do some owning and forgiving.

Father God,
I am so sorry. I am sorry that I am holding a grudge against my sister. My pride can get so out of control sometimes, it wants so badly to be perceived as wise. I choose to humble myself before you now, I let go of this offense. I want to be near to you more than I want to be right. I love you.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. That's some serious growth and wisdom right there, Sista'!!
    I just got to the part in my Bible about blood needed for forgiveness. Necessary, actually.
    A reminder of how big of a deal forgiveness really is.
    A bloody affair.
    I love that bit about disguising things as wisdom. Good one! So true. So great that you see it. I need me some of them eye-glasses!

    ReplyDelete