Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Songs to Share

God has been ministering to me through music again. I use the word ministering (rather than talking or communicating) not to be ultra-spiritual, but to reflect what I feel like he is actually doing. He is healing and comforting me, soothing and reminding me - ministering to me.

It's funny, because I can't even tell you why some of these songs are so moving to me. They must speak to something I need to hear. So here they are -

The first is a Nichole Nordeman, Amy Grant collaboration based on the book of Ruth called "I'm with you." Ironically (given my recent depth study of Ruth), I didn't recognize it as a Ruth inspired song. What I recognized was a song about friendship and intimacy and commitment. The minute I heard the first chord and certainly by the end of the song I was tearful, grateful for my Jackie. In my mind, it's our song.



Next is a couple of Matt Maher songs. The first is "Christ is Risen", which has spoken really deeply to me since around Easter time. For some reason, the reality of what Christ's resurrection really means (i.e., Victory over sin and death!) and the beauty by which is was accomplished (i.e., through selflessness and sacrifice and compassion) was so salient and powerful  to me. This song just claims this Truth so clearly. My absolute favorite part is the bridge: Oh death, where is your sting? Oh hell, where is your victory? Oh Church, come stand in the light! Our God is not dead, He's alive! He's alive!



The second I didn't even know was a Matt Maher song - it sounds super country - and part of me doesn't want to like it, but I love it! It's called "Turn Around" and it is about how God is in hot pursuit of us, always standing just behind us, longing and waiting for us.    


Then there is Natalie Grant's "Your Great Name". My eyes just well up in tears: every fear has no place at the sound of Your great name... the enemy, He has to leave at the sound of Your great name.

Finally, there is Shawn McDonald's "Rise." For He, who is in me, is greater than I will ever be and I will rise. Yes, He, who is in me, is greater than I will ever be and I will rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment