Friday, August 27, 2010

The Cosby Show


I've been watching the Cosby Show a lot recently. In some ways it's made me a bit cynical about the age we live in. I mean seriously - name 1 weekly show you can actually watch with your children that isn't loaded with broken people making seriously bad decisions. And I am not saying that shows that provoke conversations about real life are to be avoided, but shouldn't there are also be some shows that give us an example of what it looks like when you are doing things well? A target to aim at, if impossible to achieve?

Because I can tell you something, my family may not look like the Cosby family but I sure want it to. I want to raise children that respect me and one another. I want a marriage that is full of laughter and forgiveness and grace. I want to lip sink and dance to jazz music in the living room. I want to show those around me that I am both serious and not serious. I want to be creative in showing my children the consequences of their choices (Hello! Theo and living in the real world!).

But the biggest truth about the Cosby family is that it felt so incredibly safe. You know, you see Dr. Huxtable rolling his eyes at another of Denise's impulsive decisions but you don't ever think he's going to reject her or tell to "get the H!@? out of his house." You know that he loves her but sees her faults and all. I want that. I want to be that for my daughter.

And yes, it is incredibly sad that very many of us (most in fact) were not born into the Huxtable family. And perhaps it feels a bit like pouring salt into an open wound to watch a family who has something that you don't. But I think this trend toward making shows more like "reality" is really a trend toward diminishing hope. The message is something like "Don't hope for safety, don't work for love and connection because those things are a fantasy." But my sincere belief as that these things are not fantasy. They are also not related to wealth. They are not accessible to only the privileged few. It is about a small number of people, making a choice to be a safe place for each other and everyone else. And when that happens God is in it and things will change.

As Margaret Mead put it:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

P.S. Here's a Cosby Show Treat to make your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment